2 go Potty in Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

runner

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
As some of you know, we went to Portsmouth (from Norfolk) for a long weekend break and to see our daughter. I packed diabetes equipment, extra needles, lancets and even took spare insulin cartridge. When we were nearly there, realised I had only a few test strips - panic 😱 The next day the hotel sent us to St Mary's hospital drop-in centre. We parked in wrong place, paying parking fee, only to be advised that they couldn't really help us because there were no doctors at the clinic to prescribe. Receptionist advised Drop in GP centre in Guildhall or try Pharmacy 1st - they might give us some. Parked in Asda - their pharmacy had strips but they would be ?29! Sharp intake of breath! "What do you normally pay?" Explained that I get them on prescription - pharmacist offered special price of ?21, but suggested Guildhall drop in. Shopped round Asda to get parking fee back, then went off to guildhall. (Yes I know - was it worth the effort, but money is a bit tight - like me!) Got prescription (GP was born in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk!) - back to Asda's to fill it!

Oh stupid me - think I was 'stripped' of all my sense! And I'm usually one of those people that prepares the night before if I've got to go anywhere/do anything! Anyway, know Portsmouth like the back of my hand now!

Thing is, my initial thought was, I bet I could put out an SOS message on the forum, asking for people to ask diabetic friends in Portsmouth for spare Lifescan strips, and you would come up trumps! but thought I should make the effort to get some 1st.

Last edited:
Great story, runner. These things sent to try us, etc... Like the time we went all the way to Scotland last summer with what we thought were two vials of insulin, to find that it was really one and a little bit. We made it, but not without stress, and just barely...Not sure where we would have found insulin in the Highlands at short notice...!

You enjoyed the rest of the break, though?!

Great story, runner. These things sent to try us, etc... Like the time we went all the way to Scotland last summer with what we thought were two vials of insulin, to find that it was really one and a little bit. We made it, but not without stress, and just barely...Not sure where we would have found insulin in the Highlands at short notice...!

You enjoyed the rest of the break, though?!

Oh dear - glad it turned out OK. Yes, great to see daughter and her partner - I do miss her! Got held up on M25 and further down, journey took 6 instead of 4 hours! Missed Gunwharf fireworks display, but everything else was great - so busy, and lots of ghosties and ghoulies about!

As some of you know, we went to Portsmouth (from Norfolk) for a long weekend break and to see our daughter. I packed diabetes equipment, extra needles, lancets and even took spare insulin cartridge. When we were nearly there, realised I had only a few test strips - panic 😱 The next day the hotel sent us to St Mary's hospital drop-in centre. We parked in wrong place, paying parking fee, only to be advised that they couldn't really help us because there were no doctors at the clinic to prescribe. Receptionist advised Drop in GP centre in Guildhall or try Pharmacy 1st - they might give us some. Parked in Asda - their pharmacy had strips but they would be ?29! Sharp intake of breath! "What do you normally pay?" Explained that I get them on prescription - pharmacist offered special price of ?21, but suggested Guildhall drop in. Shopped round Asda to get parking fee back, then went off to guildhall. (Yes I know - was it worth the effort, but money is a bit tight - like me!) Got prescription (GP was born in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk!) - back to Asda's to fill it!

Oh stupid me - think I was 'stripped' of all my sense! And I'm usually one of those people that prepares the night before if I've got to go anywhere/do anything! Anyway, know Portsmouth like the back of my hand now!

Thing is, my initial thought was, I bet I could put out an SOS message on the forum, asking for people to ask diabetic friends in Portsmouth for spare Lifescan strips, and you would come up trumps! but thought I should make the effort to get some 1st.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh my OH works in HMV in Gunwharf Quays and almost always has a pack of my strips on him!!!!!!!!

Glad you got sorted though :D

hi there runner grr how very trying im pleased you enjoyed the break though

Just a thought in case this should ever happen again...

Did you see if they sold any meters in Asda? I've seen them for sale in Boots and Tesco and places for about a fiver, and the kit probably comes with 10 or so strips to get you started. Might be enough to get you through the weekend, with less hassle!

Hiya

I've done the very same thing this year. I live on the south coast and I was going to the Friends for Life Conference (Children with diabetes) in Windsor in August this year. I drove to Bromley to pick my mum up but stayed their one night to set off early next morning. I had two sticks with me for Jessica 😱

At 11 pm from my mums on the computer I put out an SOS just like you said you should have. I'm on Facebook as well. I emailed the other email group as loads of them were going and I hoped someone would have a spare pot and no-one replied immediately so I was in panic mode. I put a message on fb hoping someone would see. A friend from the south coast saw the message and said he would meet me half way with a pot but he couldn't get in my house but another friend from the email group was on fb and saw the message and said she would take a pot and by morning I had a few people taking strips. So got that sorted and a couple of spare pots were going to be at Windsor by lunchtime Sunday. So I had to get hold of a few until then. Off we went to the local two chemists the next morning. One could sell me a whole kit, same as what I use for ?15.00 with 10 strips. The other chemist would sell me two pots (100 strips) for ?25. No brainer for me as I got a spare kit as well so I bought the new kit and got enough strips.
What a palava but so easy done. I never forget strips now, first thing I pack. You can resuse a needle if you have to but not a strip !!

I guess you got to see a bit more of the area though 🙂

Thanks everyone for the tips - hope I never need to use them! Glad you sorted your situation too Adrienne. Yes, we got to see more of Portsmouth, but a lot of it was the same places and roads. Lovely view later that day though from the hill above Portsmouth. 🙂

I went to France with the other half and left my strips behind.... 😱

Luckily my friend Dave is insulin dependent so I borrowed his machine.... He had an accu chek Go meter which is like our aviva models. I just had to convert the readings from French to mmol/L....

In some ways I helped Dave (who doesn't normally test) as I demonstrated pain free lancing. I warmed up his fingers in the sink and use the sides. He used to have his finger pricker set at 5 and now he has it on 2.

I went to France with the other half and left my strips behind.... 😱

Luckily my friend Dave is insulin dependent so I borrowed his machine.... He had an accu chek Go meter which is like our aviva models. I just had to convert the readings from French to mmol/L....

In some ways I helped Dave (who doesn't normally test) as I demonstrated pain free lancing. I warmed up his fingers in the sink and use the sides. He used to have his finger pricker set at 5 and now he has it on 2.

Ouch! 😱 Sounds like you did him a real favour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back