1st visit after DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanzlady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

what happens on the first visit to my local nurse what is involved as to tests?

Many thanks

Hi everyone,

what happens on the first visit to my local nurse what is involved as to tests?

Many thanks

Mine went a bit like this, went in had all the introduction, I had my senses tested on my feet etc etc then she did my weight checked my bp, basically asked me genarel health questions.do you have a meter and strips ? as if not she may give you a meter mine did

Mine went a bit like this, went in had all the introduction, I had my senses tested on my feet etc etc then she did my weight checked my bp, basically asked me genarel health questions.do you have a meter and strips ? as if not she may give you a meter mine did

Hi yes I do have a meter and strips I purchase my own would spend anything to do with this DIA(as i call it don't like the name diabetes) what do they do on your legs? sorry for being so silly but it is only 7 weeks on Friday.

Regards,
Avril

Hi yes I do have a meter and strips I purchase my own would spend anything to do with this DIA(as i call it don't like the name diabetes) what do they do on your legs? sorry for being so silly but it is only 7 weeks on Friday.

Regards,
Avril

I had nothing done with my legs i just had to roll my trousers up so she could get to my feet, she tapped them with ther tool whatever the name of it is and checked the heel and the bottom of the foot.No need to apologise if you feel you need to ask then ask nothing is known as a silly question in this place x sopmething else she done was take my temperature as well i got that thing put in my ear.

I had nothing done with my legs i just had to roll my trousers up so she could get to my feet, she tapped them with ther tool whatever the name of it is and checked the heel and the bottom of the foot.No need to apologise if you feel you need to ask then ask nothing is known as a silly question in this place x sopmething else she done was take my temperature as well i got that thing put in my ear.

Oh thanks by the way my BGs were 5.4 before dinner and 5.8 2hrs after is this a good(normal)reading?
I forgot to add my legs have this funny feeling like water running in them any suggestions?

Last edited:
i have my pulse checked on my feet with a little clip on the toe which buzzes and you have to say when you feel it, she also checks my pulses in feet with an ultra sound? (like the machine when they amplfy a baby heart beat..?) she takes my blood pressure we discuss the HbA1c. You might get given a meter but you've got one you could ask her about getting strips for it on prescription ...but she should advise you on how,why and when to test. good luck x

Oh thanks by the way my BGs were 5.4 before dinner and 5.8 2hrs after is this a good(normal)reading?

very good readings no problem at allxx what were you dx with ?

I forgot to add my legs have this funny feeling like water running in them any suggestions?

hi those levels are spot on i would say,sorry cant say what could be up with legs hun x good luck with it all though

very good readings no problem at allxx what were you dx with ?[/QUOTE

Hi 7.2 before 2 hrs of drinking loucozade 2hrs later 17.5 which I don't understand my mum had type 2 but sadly passed away 1996

Hi there.

Lucozade, and other sugary drinks, are the sort of things that you should avoid. As a general rule, your blood glucose readings should be 4-7 before meals and 7-9 2hrs after.

In addition, you should try to keep your readings above 4 (<4 is 'hypo' and at this point you are advised to have a glass of something sugary or get some glucose tablets). Also, you should try and keep your levels below 10 at all times (but don't worry if the odd one is too high so long as you can get it down --> go for a walk or trot up and down the stairs for 30mins!).

Finally, it isn't all just about sugar, you have to be aware of carbohydrates (sugar is just a type of fast acting carb).

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Andy

Last edited:
lucozade

Hi there.

Lucozade, and other sugary drinks, are the sort of things that you should avoid. As a general rule, your blood glucose readings should be 4-7 before meals and 7-9 2hrs after.

In addition, you should try to keep your readings above 4 (<4 is 'hypo' and at this point you are advised to have a glass of something sugary or get some glucose tablets). Also, you should try and keep your levels below 10 at all times (but don't worry if the odd one is too high so long as you can get it down --> go for a walk or trot up and down the stairs for 30mins!).

Finally, it isn't all just about sugar, you have to be aware of carbohydrates (sugar is just a type of fast acting carb).

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Andy

Hi Andy,
I only had the Lucozade for my glucose test at Docs I would never drink the stuff as it is loaded with calories as you know thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back