1st HBAC1 tomorrow since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
1st HBAC1 tomorrow since diagnosis.
I know things have improved, lots and I am so much healthier, but had a BG reading of 10.3 tonight.
I've been so eager to get it done and see my results and this has gone put a big dark cloud over me. I shouldn't focus too much on one reading I know, just feels like a blow.
I normally take a brisk 30 minute walk every day, today I didn't. I think this is the reason behind it. Would you agree?
Also think my meds need increasing, I take 2 500mg metformin a day.
I've lost over 3 stone and see a different person in the mirror, but I want to see a different person on paper.
I think my target HBAC1 was 39.
If it's not close to that I am thinking of going keto??

The Hba1c is an average, so if the 10.3 is unusually high for you, it can't be too bad.
I must warn you though that for some (like me) Hba1c doesn't match the blood glucose results.
My results seemed stuck on 42, so I reduced my carb intake by at least 10 gm a day - and my next test, after a year, was 42.
Whatever the number, don't let it get you down if it is not as low as you wish - the main thing is to feel better and see improvements.
I am almost 5 years from diagnosis, and I do feel far better than at diagnosis, eating low carb really suits me, but although my daily blood glucose levels should put my Hba1c in the 30s, it is not.

1st HBAC1 tomorrow since diagnosis.
I know things have improved, lots and I am so much healthier, but had a BG reading of 10.3 tonight.
I've been so eager to get it done and see my results and this has gone put a big dark cloud over me. I shouldn't focus too much on one reading I know, just feels like a blow.
I normally take a brisk 30 minute walk every day, today I didn't. I think this is the reason behind it. Would you agree?
Also think my meds need increasing, I take 2 500mg metformin a day.
I've lost over 3 stone and see a different person in the mirror, but I want to see a different person on paper.
I think my target HBAC1 was 39.
If it's not close to that I am thinking of going keto??

Hi, 2500 metformin is high, the minimum effective dose is 1500 and the usual dose is 2000. So there is probably no scope to increase the met. They would likely want to add Gliclazide but you probably dont need that judging from your numbers and weight loss. What about upping exercise, a two mile walk a day is a traditional recommendation for T2s and some light dumbbell work.

I think the lady takes one 500mg tablet, twice a day - 2 x 500.

I think the lady takes one 500mg tablet, twice a day - 2 x 500.

Oops I thought 2 500 mg meant 2500! If it's only 1000 a day its doing very little and should probably be increased to the minimum effective dose of 1500

Lots of people find less than 1500 is sufficient - not everyone has the same metabolism so the assistance that needs to utilise their insulin more efficiently, will vary. Remember metformin does not physically do anything to directly reduce BG.

Hi, 2500 metformin is high, the minimum effective dose is 1500 and the usual dose is 2000. So there is probably no scope to increase the met. They would likely want to add Gliclazide but you probably dont need that judging from your numbers and weight loss. What about upping exercise, a two mile walk a day is a traditional recommendation for T2s and some light dumbbell work.
I take 2 a day 500mg, so 1000mg a day. Not 2500.

Oops I thought 2 500 mg meant 2500! If it's only 1000 a day its doing very little and should probably be increased to the minimum effective dose of 1500
Ha ha just seen this after commenting on previous comment, yes that's right 1000mg. I think il go to 1500mg next week at my review. This has made me feel more positive, I suppose I've done pretty well on a low dose. Thanks

Fingers crossed you get a result you are happy with @LilLady

Onwards and downwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back