1st diabetes review,several questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Had my 1st diabetic review with the nurse at my surgery yesterday. I’ve only been tyre1 for a year so it’s still very much a learning curve.
My Hba1 was 58, is this ok?
My cardiovascular result was 26%,she said this was too high. Doctor has rang me today and put me on a statin,is this quite common?
My feet are absolutely fine but advised me to see a chiropodist,do I really need to?
I have regular phone calls with my DSN but just thought I’d ask others opinion.
Judy

Had my 1st diabetic review with the nurse at my surgery yesterday. I’ve only been tyre1 for a year so it’s still very much a learning curve.

58mmol/mol equates to 7.5%, which was the old suggested target, so yes it’s a very good start. More recently NICE have suggested people ‘aim for’ 48mmol/mol (6.5%), and those who manage to get below 58 without problematic hypos shpildn’t be told their A1c is “too low”.

My cardiovascular result was 26%,she said this was too high. Doctor has rang me today and put me on a statin,is this quite common?

I’m not altogether familar with that - unless it‘s a 10-year risk valye from something like QRISK3, in which case it does sound as if some risk reduction strategies, eg a statin, could be well worth trying.

My feet are absolutely fine but advised me to see a chiropodist,do I really need to?

Are you aware of any foot problems? Or perhaps is this to get assessed? I’ve not seen a chiropodist (usually now called podiatrist) in 30 years, so it’s not part of standard care for me.

Judy

Great to know you are in regular contact with your DSN - a good relationship with your DSN is a huge help!

58mmol/mol equates to 7.5%, which was the old suggested target, so yes it’s a very good start. More recently NICE have suggested people ‘aim for’ 48mmol/mol (6.5%), and those who manage to get below 58 without problematic hypos shpildn’t be told their A1c is “too low”.

I’m not altogether familar with that - unless it‘s a 10-year risk valye from something like QRISK3, in which case it does sound as if some risk reduction strategies, eg a statin, could be well worth trying.

Are you aware of any foot problems? Or perhaps is this to get assessed? I’ve not seen a chiropodist (usually now called podiatrist) in 30 years, so it’s not part of standard care for me.

Great to know you are in regular contact with your DSN - a good relationship with your DSN is a huge help!
Thankyou for that Mike,it all sounds pretty reassuring.
No,I don’t have any issues with my feet ,so I won’t be I won’t be seeking any chiropodist.
Got to say I do feel very lucky having a very professional/ supportive/reliable DSN.
Judy

Judy
Good that you got an annual review at your GP's Surgery. Initially, I got a message from a member of the Surgery Reception that my GP had said that, since I was under a Hospital team for diabetes, I didn't need to be seen by the Surgery nurse; a decision taken in the Surgery and not previously passed on to me. This was when I was asking about an appointment to have my feet checked; I'd had neuropathy since my chemotherapy and was aware this had never been looked at, never mind quantified. Fortunately I had a blood test due at the Surgery and in discussion with the nurse, who I knew well, I got that decision reversed.
Pleased your HbA1c is OK.

Good that you got an annual review at your GP's Surgery. Initially, I got a message from a member of the Surgery Reception that my GP had said that, since I was under a Hospital team for diabetes, I didn't need to be seen by the Surgery nurse; a decision taken in the Surgery and not previously passed on to me. This was when I was asking about an appointment to have my feet checked; I'd had neuropathy since my chemotherapy and was aware this had never been looked at, never mind quantified. Fortunately I had a blood test due at the Surgery and in discussion with the nurse, who I knew well, I got that decision reversed.
Pleased your HbA1c is OK.
It’s really crazy how patients get treated differently based on where they live.
I do feel very fortunate how I get treated/looked after by my health professionals but it really should be a given for everyone.
My DSN always tells me she is my first port of call.
Pleased you got sorted……eventually.
Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back