1st Anniversary of Diagnosis of Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterB89

The first anniversary of my diagnosis of Diabetes passed on 13th January, 2023.
After three months on Insulin the change to tablets, MetFormin (500mg two tabs twice daily), did not go well. I suffered the dreaded MetFormin digestive issues. A move to slow release MetFormin brought very little change. I gave it a prolonged try, but after 8 months I was still suffering. Imodeum had become my best friend.
A visit to my DSN saw me move to 1 x 500 mg SR MetFormin twice a day and 1 x 25mg Algoliptin. It is still early days but this appears to have done the trick. No more stomach issues. The downside was that the MetFormin, bless it, also completely screwed up my ability to absorb Vitamin B12. However, a daily dose of Cyanocobalamin is moving things in the right direction, B12 level up from 200 to 350 after 8 weeks
Now the good news. My HbA1c level is down from 108 to 41. My weight has levelled off at 70kgs or roughly 11 stone in old money and my BMI is 22.8 to 23 depending on which conversion site you use. My morning fasting bg reading varies between 6.1 and 6.4 and my bedtime reading between 5.8 and 6.3.
Like a lot of other members nothing has been straight forward, but with help from the Diabetic Unit at my local Hospital, my GP and the DSN at our surgery I am confident that all appears to be heading in the right direction. I know that I am one of the lucky few who adjusted quickly or relatively quickly to my treatment. I am not complacent, but I believe that I now have a much better understanding of my situation than I did when I first posted a year ago and a great deal of that is due to the help, advice and experiences of others on this site.
No one would wish to be a diabetic, it is a struggle at times when people don't listen or are condescending, however the users of this site do listen and they make it feel like a shared experience. To all of you thank you
Cheers Peter

Congratulations on a fantastic result and very best wishes with continued success.
Oh and belated Happy Diaversary!...... I am a month and 3 years after you.... so I have 3 days of celebrations... My birthday on the 12th, my Diaversary on the 13th and Valentines on the 14th. Will be trying to keep the chocolate to a minimum quantity and maximum cocoa solids. 🙄

Well done Peter, thats a huge drop and hope youd agree that it dies get easier as you get your head round things, I have pretty much memorised the carbs in everything now and find little trouble in food selection, I am at about one year so far.

Sounds like you’ve done amazingly well @PeterB89

What a transformation in just a year! And your BG levels look great 🙂

Congrats on your reduced HbA1c?

Well done @PeterB89 What an achievement. You should be very proud of yourself.

The first anniversary of my diagnosis of Diabetes passed on 13th January, 2023.
After three months on Insulin the change to tablets, MetFormin (500mg two tabs twice daily), did not go well. I suffered the dreaded MetFormin digestive issues. A move to slow release MetFormin brought very little change. I gave it a prolonged try, but after 8 months I was still suffering. Imodeum had become my best friend.
A visit to my DSN saw me move to 1 x 500 mg SR MetFormin twice a day and 1 x 25mg Algoliptin. It is still early days but this appears to have done the trick. No more stomach issues. The downside was that the MetFormin, bless it, also completely screwed up my ability to absorb Vitamin B12. However, a daily dose of Cyanocobalamin is moving things in the right direction, B12 level up from 200 to 350 after 8 weeks
Now the good news. My HbA1c level is down from 108 to 41. My weight has levelled off at 70kgs or roughly 11 stone in old money and my BMI is 22.8 to 23 depending on which conversion site you use. My morning fasting bg reading varies between 6.1 and 6.4 and my bedtime reading between 5.8 and 6.3.
Like a lot of other members nothing has been straight forward, but with help from the Diabetic Unit at my local Hospital, my GP and the DSN at our surgery I am confident that all appears to be heading in the right direction. I know that I am one of the lucky few who adjusted quickly or relatively quickly to my treatment. I am not complacent, but I believe that I now have a much better understanding of my situation than I did when I first posted a year ago and a great deal of that is due to the help, advice and experiences of others on this site.
No one would wish to be a diabetic, it is a struggle at times when people don't listen or are condescending, however the users of this site do listen and they make it feel like a shared experience. To all of you thank you
Cheers Peter
Brilliant - well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back