16/8 intermittent fasting and metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Silver

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I have been type 2 diabetic for about 7 years and have been on metformin for the last 2. I would like to try intermittent fasting 16/8 and am not sure when I should take my metformin which I currently take in the morning with breakfast and again when I eat my tea.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Rob

It is important to take Metformin with food to minimize the risk of digestive upset, so taking it with lunch and evening meal would be my suggestion.

Hi all, I have been type 2 diabetic for about 7 years and have been on metformin for the last 2. I would like to try intermittent fasting 16/8 and am not sure when I should take my metformin which I currently take in the morning with breakfast and again when I eat my tea.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Rob
I take my metformin (which is the slow release version) with two meals during the day, usually with lunch and dinner- as I try to avoid breakfast and eat everything within that 8 hour period. I think with the slow release I could take it all together, but I still split it. Are you on standard or slow release, and how much do you have to take? Good luck with the intermittent fasting

Welcome to the forum @Rob Silver

If you are unsure, it might be worth discussing your IF plan with your Dr, diabetes nurse, or the qualified pharmacist in your local chemists?

Metformin generally works ‘in the background’ rather than on a meal-by-meal basis. it soaks into the system and works be reducing insulin resistance and glucose emitted by the liver, rather than working directly on the food you are eating.

Metformin generally works ‘in the background’ rather than on a meal-by-meal basis. it soaks into the system and works be reducing insulin resistance and glucose emitted by the liver, rather than working directly on the food you are eating.
Agreed, but on a ‘tolerability’ point of view is it not better to take it with your meal/meals?

Agreed, but on a ‘tolerability’ point of view is it not better to take it with your meal/meals?

That is very much the forum’s experience yes! Apologies that wasn’t clear.

I take my metformin (which is the slow release version) with two meals during the day, usually with lunch and dinner- as I try to avoid breakfast and eat everything within that 8 hour period. I think with the slow release I could take it all together, but I still split it. Are you on standard or slow release, and how much do you have to take? Good luck with the intermittent fasting
Hi, thank you for your reply, I am on 500mg tablets Dr told me to take twice a day , not sure if slow release. I thought that would be the case and will take one with my lunch and one with evening meal and see how it goes

Hi, thank you for your reply, I am on 500mg tablets Dr told me to take twice a day , not sure if slow release. I thought that would be the case and will take one with my lunch and one with evening meal and see how it goes
That sounds a good plan, and hopefully it will work well. I’ve found it to be successful for me, but we all adapt to these changes differently. Good luck!

The leaflet in the packet should tell you if it is slow release. There may be SR (slow release) or MR (modified release) after the name.
If it has a specific name then look up on the internet and that will tell you also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back