12 year old wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Today Alex had some friends round and I was taking them to a park and they were sat in the back of the car chatting.

Friends : Alex - why do you have a pump and X has injections.
Alex : Because I have much better control on a pump than I did on injections.
Friends : But X never has any hypo's and he is on injections - wouldnt you prefer not to have any hypo's.
Alex : Yes I know X doesnt have hypo's - but his hba1c is 12 or 14 and thats not good for him.
Friends : Well we would rather not have hypo's as it stops you playing.
Alex : Well I would rather have hypo's because if I let myself run high all the time like X - I would be blind by the time I was 20 and on kidney diallysis by 30 and probably lose my feet too. Poor X will have a lot of problems when he is in his 20's and I feel sorry for him because no-one cares about him and he doesnt even realise what will happen.
Friends : Wow - you could lose your legs and your eyesight? X must be mad to keep his levels high then.
Alex : Yeh - I dont know why they dont tell X to look after his diabetes - well his mum has left the step-dad and the step-dad is in hospital so he is living with his real dad who he hates - so maybe just nobody cares for him.

It just goes to show that they take it all in and even though I havent said it in quite as blunt a way - he does 'get' why keeping careful control pays off. I felt really sad listening to them talk as if they were talking about the latest computer game out - all very matter of fact and non emotional - I suppose thats a 'good' thing though - takes the mystery out of it all.🙂 Bev x

He's a very switched on boy Bev, thanks in no small part to you 🙂 I do feel for poor 'X' though :(

He sounds a very sensible 12 year old you should be very proud him :D

He's a very switched on boy Bev, thanks in no small part to you 🙂 I do feel for poor 'X' though :(

Yes - I wish I could help X - but its not my place to and it saddens me whenever Alex tells me little stories about him and how he copes with his diabetes. I know Alex feels sorry for him to and worries when they are in the medical room and X is making poor decisions about when to inject etc. The other day X was 4 and injected straight away for his lunch and Alex was really worried that he would hypo before the food hit - but he didnt see him in the afternoon so didnt know what happened.:(Bev

wow Bev, what a grown up 12 year old....his head is well screwed on. you should be very proud

and I do think that all kids with diabetes become grown up and responsible faster than peers as you just have to.

well done for getting the messages across.

Alex has his head on the right way and is a credit to you.If you are honest and matter of fact with kids, they get the idea and they get it right too.

wow - he sounds really clued up about it! Have to say he is lucky to have friends he can talk to like this - my K does not talk to anyone but her best friend like this (and i fear even she is bored with having a 'sick' friend:()
You have done a great job with him - I'm sure you are very proud x

wow - he sounds really clued up about it! Have to say he is lucky to have friends he can talk to like this - my K does not talk to anyone but her best friend like this (and i fear even she is bored with having a 'sick' friend:()
You have done a great job with him - I'm sure you are very proud x

Thanks for all your lovely words everyone.

Carolyn, have you joined the CWD list yet as it is a good way of finding out if there are any children in your area that you daughter could perhaps meet up with or someone may actually go to your clinic. I have met lots of lovely families off the list and its great to talk to other mums and let the children feel 'normal' with other diabetic children.🙂Bev

Thanks for all your lovely words everyone.

Carolyn, have you joined the CWD list yet as it is a good way of finding out if there are any children in your area that you daughter could perhaps meet up with or someone may actually go to your clinic. I have met lots of lovely families off the list and its great to talk to other mums and let the children feel 'normal' with other diabetic children.🙂Bev

Thanks Bev - i havent - keep meaning to😱 K has other girls at her school with D now but she says she does not want someone to be friends with her 'just 'cos we both have diabetes' :( We actually saw someone from her year at clinic last time we went but only in passing unfortunately.

Thanks Bev - i havent - keep meaning to😱 K has other girls at her school with D now but she says she does not want someone to be friends with her 'just 'cos we both have diabetes' :( We actually saw someone from her year at clinic last time we went but only in passing unfortunately.

Well if you want to join - I will say hello to you and you will get lots of welcomes and even if K doesnt want to meet up thats fine because its just a place for parents to offload and gain lots of help and support - so come and say hi.🙂Bev

Thx Bev - is there a link - cant find it now 🙄

This is an interesting thread Bev.

Can I add my 2 cents please.

I realise that 'we' can't intervene or tell people how to run their lives. However, I have a thought on this.

My childhood experience of my father getting diabetic related complications taught me a lesson that I want to be in the 5% (HbA1c) club.

I helped a work colleages T1 teenager to learn how to bolus properly. Once I got his trust he progressed quickly to becoming more independent and his parents only intervene when he asks. His last HbA1c was 6.2.

If I remember rightly, A was not too keen on a pump until you took him to a hospital in London. He met someone whose life changed since pumping which helped influence him towards pumping. To see something in the flesh rather than in books or web pages is far more important I think.

Now, we can't interfere with X's life. However there must be a way that at least X can have hints dropped in his direction. Like meeting amputees or people with severe neuropathy who "just happen" to be in the waiting room in the clinic.

I personally believe X needs a mentor, preferably someone about his age group, who "knows the ropes" and who is willing to help him improve his HbA1c without patronising him.

Do the parents of children with diabetes know of any such schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back