• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

12 hour fast

joeefc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
going in hospital monday for the day,to have a angiogram done on my heart.got to fast 12 hours before.i got to be there for 7.30 am,but the nurse said with me having diabetis she put me down first,which should be about 8.30 and out for 9.30 i hope,because i have had a few hypos lately.just wondering if anyone been in a simulair situation,and what was your experiences of it. thanks joe. why im here is the any other diabetic forums to go on for a chat,new to all this computer stuff thanks again joe.

going in hospital monday for the day,to have a angiogram done on my heart.got to fast 12 hours before.i got to be there for 7.30 am,but the nurse said with me having diabetis she put me down first,which should be about 8.30 and out for 9.30 i hope,because i have had a few hypos lately.just wondering if anyone been in a simulair situation,and what was your experiences of it. thanks joe. why im here is the any other diabetic forums to go on for a chat,new to all this computer stuff thanks again joe.

Hi Joe,
Good luck with your test on monday.
If you think there is any chance of going low would it not be a good idea to cut your basal insulin by a couple of units?
Hypostop works wonders for hypos when you are meant to be fasting for surgery/tests as it is absorped through the gums.

Hi joe,

I had an angiogram when I was in hospital after being diagnosed. It's a very common procedure. In my case, they put me on a 'sliding scale' because of my diabetes - this is a combined glucose/insulin drip where they balance the glucose and insulin in order to keep your blood sugar on an even keel.

I was then wheeled into an operating theatre where the cardiologist explained the procedure to me. They administered a little local anaesthetic to my inner thigh and then inserted the catheter which carried a camera up the femoral artery to the heart. I felt nothing at all throughout the procedure, except when they put in a dye (or something, not sure what!). It wasn't an unpleasant experience - it was like being flooded with a warm sensation throughout my body.

The cardiologist explained what was happening, and I could just about see the monitor showing my arteries. I was fortunate in that my arteries were fine, but if necessary they will put in a stent which helps to open up an artery which may have become partially blocked.

Afterwards, I was taken to a recovery room where a nice nurse pressed her fingers against my thigh for 20 minutes to help close the place where they had inserted the catheter. I think they may also put a 'plug' in the place which gradually 'melts'. I was then returned to the ward where a nurse checked that the wound was OK every hour.

The cardiologist popped by later in the day to give me his findings.

Hope all goes well for you joe, take care!:)

Any other questions, please ask!

Hope all goes well Joe.
I'm sure someone will help you through it.

thanks every one for your help and support,stops me worring a bit more.did phone my dn,and she said keep to the same amount of insulin which is 26 of an evening.thanks joe

Hi Joe

Can I suggest you check exactly what the instructions say - there's a difference between fasts eg "nil by mouth" (absolutely no food nor fluids) and last food at xx.xxpm / last (clear) fluids at xx.xxpm
If you can have fluids later than food, then you could have milk or something, which might prevent the need to treat a hypo during the night. Also, take something to eat in case there isn't time to get to the hospital canteen / cafe etc.

Last edited:
Hi again Joe,

If your procedure is the same as mine you'll have to lie still for a couple of hours afterwards - and I mean very still! The camera is put into your femoral artery, and you have to give the entry point every chance to heal as quickly as possible. Have they told you what will happen afterwards? I wouldn't expect to be walking out of the hospital less than 4 hours afterwards, and I imagine you'll be advised to avoid walking around much at all for a couple of days.

Find out if they're going to provide food afterwards, and if not, take a sandwich or something in with you.

Things may proceed differently for you as an outpatient - I was going to be staying in hospital anyway for a couple of days afterwards. And please don't worry yourself, it's an interesting experience, and worthwhile knowing the results.

for copepod and northerner

copepod nothing to eat 12 hours before,but ican have a drink before 6am,so thanks for the idea of milk.northerner rsn told me they might put me on a drip straight after it for my insulin,and yes they do provide food i hope.but everything else you said sounds the same

Hi Joe
If you can have any drink at 6am, then milk will be fine, but it doesn't count as clear fluid, although that distinction isn't usually an issue except when preparing intestines for procedures eg endoscopy (looking into large intestine) which isn't what youre having. Hope it all goes well - please let us know afterwards.

copepod i can have a cup of tea so milk should be fine thanks joe.

Hi Joe,

I don't recall fasting for my angiogram.... it was only a couple of years ago.

Good luck

Back