11yo son refused pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

BexT

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son is coming upto 12 months being diagnosed, our last clinic appointment we asked about going on a pump, anyway because he was 70% in range at that particular time they said he's doing great and didn't discuss the pump further, just said a few cons about the pump, how expensive being one of them, he's only 54% in range at the moment and he really struggles doing his own injections, still hasn't done them anywhere but his stomach himself, he's also had lumps in stomach and legs before, I'd like my son to try it at least, he wants this too, how do i go about it If our team aren't even considering him for one? Do we just wait until they offer or push it?

Do we just wait until they offer or push it?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Push for the pump and do not take no for an answer.

Welcome @BexT 🙂 Make a list of any problems your son is having, and how the pump will help these problems. That can help. Also, look at the NICE guidelines for getting a pump and see which criterion/criteria your son could fulfil.

I would also do your own pump research so you can show you know what you’re talking about and how pumps work.

Pumps aren’t magic and they do need a fair bit of user input. They’re more work than injections. I presume you’re already carb counting?

It can be frustrating and difficult to deal with tweens and their diabetes. I have a 12 year old who was diagnosed just before his 9th birthday and whilst he has a pump he hasn’t used it in a while because changing the cannula became a chore. Here (Oxfordshire) we were told that NHS funding for the pump was easier for under 12s so they tend to offer them if they can before that. Yes pumps are expensive and they do want to know that you are taking it on with the aim to use it. It’s worth talking to your team about the process and getting on the list for one even if he’s not ready right now as it will take a little while to actually get one but there isn’t any rush. We kind of felt like tech would solve all the problems but in reality kids aren’t always rational and easy and adding anything THING into the mix can just make more work.

In terms of talking to him about a pump it may just feel like another thing to get his head around. We didn’t get one until a couple of years after diagnosis whereas some kids go on them almost immediately. It’s absolutely fine to stay on injections. What we found helpful was that with the pump my kid has options. If he gets fed up of injections he can use the pump and vice versa but all of it has come with some headaches for us.

Good management is the goal but some management is better than no management so try to take some of the pressure off and help him in the moment with each injection. I don’t know what my son’s time in range is but he’s often over target but his HBA1C has been fine all the time so try to keep an eye on the long term ‘climate’ not the daily weather. With his injections make sure he’s moving site around even if they’re all on his abdomen there’s still lots of space. My kid does pretty much all his fast insulin into his belly and his basal in his legs.

It’s hard being a parent to a kid with a chronic condition. Have patience with him and yourself and lean on us with the frustrations.

@BexT that is incredibly frustrating.
As usual @Inka writes a lot of sense: make your case how the features of an insulin pump will help your son.
However, I recommend you avoid suggesting he tries it. There is a large expense associated with issuing a pump which cannot be spent on someone willing to persevere if your son tries it and decides he doesn't want it in the end. A pump is a commitment and more work than injecting. So, make sure the two of you are willing to invest the effort if the NHS are willing to invest the money.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back