111 line increasing pressure on NHS, say leading doctors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There has been a big increase in the number of people being referred to GP surgeries and A&E departments, analysis of the NHS 111 urgent care line in England shows.

The figures were produced by the doctors' union the BMA, which has had long-standing concerns over NHS 111.

Doctors' leaders say increased referrals mean more pressure on already overstretched GPs and hospitals.

NHS England says the 111 service is meeting increasing demand.

A spokesman said the proportion of referrals to GPs and emergency services had remained steady despite a surge in calls.

But the BMA is concerned that the service is not delivering appropriate advice to some patients and this means some are being incorrectly directed to busy hospitals and GP surgeries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31119807

I read somewhere in the last few weeks that a whistle blower said there were not enough medically trained staff, to man the system!

I read somewhere in the last few weeks that a whistle blower said there were not enough medically trained staff, to man the system!

More failed cost-cutting, without considering the consequences - I believe that NHS Direct had a lot more medically trained staff. :(

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

I know the old NHS direct used employ Trained Nurses as call handlers, as I knew someone who did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back