10th Diaversary

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today marks 10 years since I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. In 2008, it was actually Bank Holiday Monday, and by this time I had been very sick for 5 days with what I thought was a stomach bug. I lost 17 pounds in weight over that short period, and I had been losing weight over the previous 12-18 months, so I ended up at 8st 4lbs, with easily countable ribs on display :eek: I had expected to get better from the bug afflicting me, but I now know that my pancreas had already been struggling for over a year (in hindsight, I recognised I had lots of symptoms, but put them down to other things) and the virus completely overwhelmed it. Consequently, the sickness became due to DKA - I had fought off the virus, but was now much more seriously ill :eek:

At diagnosis my BG was 38 mmol/l and ketones were 6.8 - my blood was very acidic and affecting all my major organs. HbA1c was 11.8%, which translates to 105 mmol/mol :eek: As soon as they gave me insulin I felt immediately much better, and actually thought I might still be able to fly out to Stockholm to run the marathon there on the Saturday - I hadn't realised just how ill I had become, and I was in hospital for 8 days :(

But here I am 10 years later, still largely intact :) My levels have been good over the years, and it would appear that my pancreas has recovered to some extent, which has no doubt helped to smooth the BG. I was initially given 45 units of novorapid and 20 units of lantus per day. After about 18 months my needs, particularly for lantus, began to decrease, and after 4 years I reached a point where I no longer needed it at all :eek: My novorapid has also decreased, but I still definitely need it - it can vary between 12 and 40 units a day, depending on the whims of the Diabetes Fairy - it can be very stable for a while, then everything rapidly changes and I have to either substantially increase or decrease it - thank goodness I didn't get diagnosed in the 'age' of mixed insulins and two injections a day! :eek: :)

This forum didn't exist when I was diagnosed, it appeared about 5 months later. I joined on the day after launch and have been here ever since, becoming a Moderator in December 2008 and taking over as Admin in March 2009 :) In that time I have followed the lives of thousands of people, and it really brings home to you the huge diversity in how this can affect people, whatever the Type or possible origins leading up to diagnosis. It convinced me at a very early stage that 'everyone is different', and whilst there are common factors and approaches to managing it, everyone has to discover what they personally need to be aware of - things that may affect others in quite different ways.

There is no 'one-size-fits all'. I'm continually impressed with how people are able to take on so much information and get to grips with things, and I've seen some very heartening improvements - most particularly when people go from confusion and fear at diagnosis, to learning how to deal with it (most of the time!), to getting things under good control and feeling happier and healthier than they have for years :) That's why this forum is here, to help inform and support those turnarounds - long may it continue to transform lives for the better :) Thanks to all the people who have helped me and all the others over the past decade, keep on doing what you do really well! :)

Carolg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Happy diaversary and thanks for both sharing your story and making the forum the supportive place it is.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Happy diaversary and second @Carolg comments, well done.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wonderful post Northie.

‘Happy diaversary’ never seems right - but congratulations on 10 awesome years with T1D and huge huge thanks for all you do on behalf of every single person you have helped here, including me!

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Great post Northerner, happy 10th diaversary :) 10 years = cure time surely!;)

Thank you so much for everything you do for us to make this forum such a fabulous place. You have saved me from the diabetes wilderness.:)

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Happy diaversary hun and thanks for all the help/advice you have given me from your great knowledge! :D xx

AdeleTurner72

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Today marks 10 years since I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. In 2008, it was actually Bank Holiday Monday, and by this time I had been very sick for 5 days with what I thought was a stomach bug. I lost 17 pounds in weight over that short period, and I had been losing weight over the previous 12-18 months, so I ended up at 8st 4lbs, with easily countable ribs on display :eek: I had expected to get better from the bug afflicting me, but I now know that my pancreas had already been struggling for over a year (in hindsight, I recognised I had lots of symptoms, but put them down to other things) and the virus completely overwhelmed it. Consequently, the sickness became due to DKA - I had fought off the virus, but was now much more seriously ill :eek:

At diagnosis my BG was 38 mmol/l and ketones were 6.8 - my blood was very acidic and affecting all my major organs. HbA1c was 11.8%, which translates to 105 mmol/mol :eek: As soon as they gave me insulin I felt immediately much better, and actually thought I might still be able to fly out to Stockholm to run the marathon there on the Saturday - I hadn't realised just how ill I had become, and I was in hospital for 8 days :(

But here I am 10 years later, still largely intact :) My levels have been good over the years, and it would appear that my pancreas has recovered to some extent, which has no doubt helped to smooth the BG. I was initially given 45 units of novorapid and 20 units of lantus per day. After about 18 months my needs, particularly for lantus, began to decrease, and after 4 years I reached a point where I no longer needed it at all :eek: My novorapid has also decreased, but I still definitely need it - it can vary between 12 and 40 units a day, depending on the whims of the Diabetes Fairy - it can be very stable for a while, then everything rapidly changes and I have to either substantially increase or decrease it - thank goodness I didn't get diagnosed in the 'age' of mixed insulins and two injections a day! :eek: :)

This forum didn't exist when I was diagnosed, it appeared about 5 months later. I joined on the day after launch and have been here ever since, becoming a Moderator in December 2008 and taking over as Admin in March 2009 :) In that time I have followed the lives of thousands of people, and it really brings home to you the huge diversity in how this can affect people, whatever the Type or possible origins leading up to diagnosis. It convinced me at a very early stage that 'everyone is different', and whilst there are common factors and approaches to managing it, everyone has to discover what they personally need to be aware of - things that may affect others in quite different ways.

There is no 'one-size-fits all'. I'm continually impressed with how people are able to take on so much information and get to grips with things, and I've seen some very heartening improvements - most particularly when people go from confusion and fear at diagnosis, to learning how to deal with it (most of the time!), to getting things under good control and feeling happier and healthier than they have for years :) That's why this forum is here, to help inform and support those turnarounds - long may it continue to transform lives for the better :) Thanks to all the people who have helped me and all the others over the past decade, keep on doing what you do really well! :)
Happy diaversary. Thank you for all your support and encouragement too! Here's to the next 10 years and beyond!

Mark Parrott

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Happy Diaversary, Northie.:)

Matt Cycle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well done on the 10 well controlled years Northie and for all you do on the forum. :)

Katieb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wonderful post Northie.

‘Happy diaversary’ never seems right - but congratulations on 10 awesome years with T1D and huge huge thanks for all you do on behalf of every single person you have helped here, including me!
Seconded! Well done Northie!

Grannylorraine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Happy diapers are and thank you for sharing you story with us

Barb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Lanny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Being relatively new to these forums, the concept of the Diavesrary seems strange to me: getting diabetes was NOT good news to me! :confused:

But, I'm starting to get my head around it! :rolleyes:

Well done, @Northerner, for living with & well controlling diabetes for 10 years! Thanks very much for administering these very well run, supportive & useful forums! :) I learnt a lot in the short time I was on here, more than I learnt in the last 17 years of being diabetic! :)

Here's to another good, well controlled 10 years! :)