• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

10g per 100g sugar

Vanessa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I seem to recall someone posting a query about 10g sugar per 100g being a lot and didn't know where s/he had read it

Picked up a Sainsbury's magazine on Sunday as needed something to read whilst waiting for my husband and had "healthy eating special" banner on front. Found floowing information on nutrition in it

Guideline daily amounts (GDA)

Calories: 2000 women; 2500 men
Fats & saturates: <70g (<20g saturates) women; <95g (<30g saturates) men
10g or less = lower fat
Carbohydrate: about 50% of calorie intake
around 265g women; 335g for men if 2000/2500 kcal
Added sugar: no more than 50g women; 65g men
10g or more per 100g = lot of sugar
2g or less per 100g = little sugar
Salt: no more than 6g per day
Fibre: at least 18g per day

Began to wish I'd picked up a gossip magazine instead! Especially when I got to the page on Nigella's bake of the month - sticky gingerbread squares

As a quick rule of thumb, my DN suggested looking for food with

>10g or less per 100g or 100ml of sugar
>5g or less per 100g or 100ml of saturated fat

it was sometime ago, and forgot to write it down - so I hope I've remembered this right.

I'm sure if I remembered incorrectly someone will point me in the right direction.

Fair enough. Except that sugar is pretty irrelevant of course.

remember portion size, too

But, portion size is also important - eg a teaspoon of pure sugar in a cup of very well brewed coffee once in a while is OK.
A couple of squares of good chocolate can be as rewarding as a whole bar of inferior chocolate - actually, higher quality chocolate is usually lower in sugar and fat than lower quality.

Back