10 months without meds. There is hope. Hba1c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just got my Hba1c results which i was a bit apprehensive about as stopped meds last November and perhaps not been as strict as i was when first diagnosed. Still try to avoid high carbs mostly but have the odd treat of fish and chips or chocolate etc.and maybe higher carb meals on holidays. I walk a lot more than i did before diagnosis and have lost a lot of weight which i am sure made the difference.
Anyway came back at 38mmols which i am delighted with. I don't know if this can be classed as remission as don't really get reviews now as my results are normal. What do Doctors class as remission now?
Just to let new or anxious people know there is hope as i started with disastrous BG levels of 108 and thought normal life was over and would never return to normal.

Just got my Hba1c results which i was a bit apprehensive about as stopped meds last November and perhaps not been as strict as i was when first diagnosed. Still try to avoid high carbs mostly but have the odd treat of fish and chips or chocolate etc.and maybe higher carb meals on holidays. I walk a lot more than i did before diagnosis and have lost a lot of weight which i am sure made the difference.
Anyway came back at 38mmols which i am delighted with. I don't know if this can be classed as remission as don't really get reviews now as my results are normal. What do Doctors class as remission now?
Just to let new or anxious people know there is hope as i started with disastrous BG levels of 108 and thought normal life was over and would never return to normal.
Well done brilliant, I have just had the same at my review the nurse said you are not really diabetic anymore with an HbA1C of 36mmol/mol. Mind you I only started at 50 but as I find my new way of eating is enjoyable there is no temptation to go back to old ways.
I think in both our cases it would be classed as remission.

Excellent, well done. I was told maybe I should stop the drugs a few months ago (500mg of Met) but I was a bit cautious. Maybe I should have just taken the plunge.

I gave up the Metformin as BG good and was having terrible side effects. Gave up a week or two before i had a long dental appointment as afraid to sit in chair with the side effects i was getting lol.
Yes virtually all my health markers are normal now (cholesterol little high, ratios ok) when at diagnosis nearly all said abnormal. I was in quite a state really and felt dreadful.

Last edited:
I gave up the Metformin as BG good and was having terrible side effects. Gave up a week or two before i had a long dental appointment as afraid to sit in chair with the side effects i was getting lol.
Yes virtually all my health markers are normal now (cholesterol little high, ratios ok) when at diagnosis nearly all said abnormal. I was in quite a state really and felt dreadful.
Well done, you have managed it so well. I am inspired by your results and it gives me hope for my forthcoming HbA1c test in 2 weeks. Brilliant that you have not only lowered your levels and weight but you have maintained it too, you should be very pleased x

Well done, you have managed it so well. I am inspired by your results and it gives me hope for my forthcoming HbA1c test in 2 weeks. Brilliant that you have not only lowered your levels and weight but you have maintained it too, you should be very pleased x
Thanks. I am sure with that weight loss you will see a good reduction in Hba1c in 2 weeks. I must say i have gained a little of the weight again as i am not quite so strict but will try to keep in check as i feel so much better without the excess weight and i am sure that's what has made the difference and of course the exercise.

Thanks. I am sure with that weight loss you will see a good reduction in Hba1c in 2 weeks. I must say i have gained a little of the weight again as i am not quite so strict but will try to keep in check as i feel so much better without the excess weight and i am sure that's what has made the difference and of course the exercise.
I hope so, on the whole my glucose readings are a lot more reasonable than when I was diagnosed, highest one I had back then was 19.4, which is what led me to have my HBa1c test and be told I am diabetic.

So today on waking it was 6.2 and then 2 hours after breakfast of eggs, tomatoes, bacon and half a slice of wholemeal bread - 31 carbs - it went up to 9.3 I looked these up and anything up to 11, 2 hours after eating is prediabetic, so whilst not normal, from a reading of 80 I will take that with pleasure 🙂 Although I notice on here it says up to 8.5 and not 11

Last edited:
I hope so, on the whole my glucose readings are a lot more reasonable than when I was diagnosed, highest one I had back then was 19.4, which is what led me to have my HBa1c test and be told I am diabetic.

So today on waking it was 6.2 and then 2 hours after breakfast of eggs, tomatoes, bacon and half a slice of wholemeal bread - 31 carbs - it went up to 9.3 I looked these up and anything up to 11, 2 hours after eating is prediabetic, so whilst not normal, from a reading of 80 I will take that with pleasure 🙂 Although I notice on here it says up to 8.5 and not 11
Yes i would aim to be less than 8.5 def not 11. I am usually 6.2 ish after getting up and before breakfast. 2 hours after breakfast i am in the 7s or 8s. Thats 2 slices nimble wholemeal and marmite. Same with dinner i try to aim for being under 8.5 mmols 2 hours after eating.Its very rare i get a reading over 10 these days.I would say mainly 6-7 mmols and may go into 5s after exercise. According to Libre i tried i go into 4s or 5s overnight whilst i sleep and get dawn phenomenom when i wake.

Last edited:
Yes i would aim to be less than 8.5 def not 11. I am usually 6.2 ish after getting up and before breakfast. 2 hours after breakfast i am in the 7s or 8s. Thats 2 slices nimble wholemeal and marmite. Same with dinner i try to aim for being under 8.5 mmols 2 hours after eating.Its very rare i get a reading over 10 these days.I would say mainly 6-7 mmols and may go into 5s after exercise. According to Libre i tried i go into 4s or 5s overnight whilst i sleep and get dawn phenomenom when i wake.
Your levels are good, my after eating ones are normally 7-8 so not sure what happened today, could be the teaspoon of olive oil i fried the eggs in, or the half a slice of wholemeal bread, I did have a puff on a vape of banana e liquid (not mine but I tried a friends, could that have upped my level?) I just wanted something sweet and thought a puff was better than eating an actual banana. I am still learning what triggers me so will try this breakfast another day and not have any vape (I gave up smoking when I was diagnosed and dont vape but was fascinated as it smelt so good 🙂 I still have the odd craving for sweet things. Beetroot also helps with that craving but again I think it may be a level raiser.

More likely the bread than the olive oil which is virtually nil carbs. I dont think a vape will cause a rise.
Oh scrub that a quick Google and yes vapes can raise blood sugars apparently. Maybe best avoid just in case. Well done on giving up smoking. I gave up just before being diagnosed as i felt so awful i thought smoking may have been causing it, but then found out diabetes was the cause. But i must say i feel much better and have more puff since giving up so would never take up again. I went cold turkey as i am wary of effects of vaping on health.

Last edited:
More likely the bread than the olive oil which is virtually nil carbs. I dont think a vape will cause a rise.
Oh scrub that a quick Google and yes vapes can raise blood sugars apparently. Maybe best avoid just in case. Well done on giving up smoking. I gave up just before being diagnosed as i felt so awful i thought smoking may have been causing it, but then found out diabetes was the cause. But i must say i feel much better and have more puff since giving up so would never take up again. I went cold turkey as i am wary of effects of vaping on health.
Yes I think you are right. My daughter commented when I gave up smoking that I am no longer out of breath, I put that down to losing over 2 stone but I think giving up smoking was a big part of it. I wont vape again, it was just one puff but you never know if it caused a spike. I wont do it again.

My levels come right down now, I had a small glass of red wine and its now 5.8. I know alcohol isnt good but I wanted to lower my levels before I make lunch so had a small glass and it did the trick! This is such a mindfield at times. I basically stick to 1200 calories and exercise and you would hope that was enough and the weight loss is 3-4 pounds every 10 days so its coming down nicely but my sugar levels can be a little erratic at times too. If I had dieted without being aware I was diabetic I would probably never had had a blood test and discovered the the underlying cause, sometimes its a blessing, sometimes a curse.

I am lucky to have no symptoms at all, I didnt get thirsty or go to the loo a lot and dieting has resolved my IBS and my itchy skin (which is why I had a blood test that led to this diagnosis) I guess I am lucky to have had my eyes opened but sometimes I just wish I could go on a healthy eating plan and not have to test my glucose. My feet and eyes are OK and I will have to eat like this for the rest of my life. Normally when I diet I keep some of my larger sized clothes, this time they have all gone to charity. My son said this is going to be the thing I need to keep myself on track, (I was a yo-yo dieter before, would lose 4 stone for a holiday or occassion and then regain and repeat, now it has to be for ever, I cant afford to get fat again

You are doing really well and getting rid of clothes which are too big is a good idea and benefits charily as well. My OH got out a suit which is actually 12 years old but is a good, nice suit but it is now just too big, the jacket would fit two of him. He was just supporting me in my low carb diet and lost loads of weight.
I have heard it said that that it is not being overweight that causes people to be diabetic, but it is actually the other way round.

You are doing really well and getting rid of clothes which are too big is a good idea and benefits charily as well. My OH got out a suit which is actually 12 years old but is a good, nice suit but it is now just too big, the jacket would fit two of him. He was just supporting me in my low carb diet and lost loads of weight.
I have heard it said that that it is not being overweight that causes people to be diabetic, but it is actually the other way round.
my GP said the same thing, I sort of apologised for being diabetic, said it was my own fault for getting fat. Her response was that it could be the diabetes that made me feel hungry and eat more, thus gain weight rather than the other way round.

Great to hear things are going so well @Loobyloo - well done on maintaining your great results 🙂

@Loobyloo Wonderful results, well done! 🙂

Well done @Loobyloo, really pleased for you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back