+1 Ketone Body and Fasting glucose 134!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Ok I'm totally confused.

I just got the results of my work health check and things looked good save for my fasting glucose (134) and ketone bodies +1. My trigs were 45 (0-150 is the range), my HDL was 50.2 (> 40 is good). My BMI was 20.4, waist 75 cm. Blood pressure was 115/71.

In May my A1C was 4.8 and my fasting was 92.

Now what I did last time was fast for 48 hours before hand, and I did that the same this time. So I can understand the Ketones in urine. However, shouldn't blood sugars go down not up because of 48 hr fasting? I only ate like an apple, eggs, nuts, and 1 small roast beef meal with some purple rice, and sweet potato the night before. Surely not enough to raise it that much?? Now the doctors report says I have to go back to the clinic and get another blood test next month.

Ok I'm totally confused.

I just got the results of my work health check and things looked good save for my fasting glucose (134) and ketone bodies +1. My trigs were 45 (0-150 is the range), my HDL was 50.2 (> 40 is good). My BMI was 20.4, waist 75 cm. Blood pressure was 115/71.

In May my A1C was 4.8 and my fasting was 92.

Now what I did last time was fast for 48 hours before hand, and I did that the same this time. So I can understand the Ketones in urine. However, shouldn't blood sugars go down not up because of 48 hr fasting? I only ate like an apple, eggs, nuts, and 1 small roast beef meal with some purple rice, and sweet potato the night before. Surely not enough to raise it that much?? Now the doctors report says I have to go back to the clinic and get another blood test next month.
I'm not sure that counts as fasting when you had some quite high carb foods, apple, rice, sweet potato so that may explain the difference.
Fasting can cause the liver to release glucose as in the absence of food you still need energy for your organs to function and for any activity.

I'm not sure that counts as fasting when you had some quite high carb foods, apple, rice, sweet potato so that may explain the difference.
Fasting can cause the liver to release glucose as in the absence of food you still need energy for your organs to function and for any activity.
Sorry I fasted Wed and Thursday for 48 hours and broke the fast on Friday. On Friday morning I ate an apple, lunch eggs and nuts, and dinner was the roast beef before 7pm. I don't get it, how could fasting glucose be higher than in January when I was 40 pounds heavier not exercising, and eating more carbs and sugars?

It does, and in people with diabetes the metabolism can't handle it so levels go up.

Sorry I fasted Wed and Thursday for 48 hours and broke the fast on Friday. On Friday morning I ate an apple, lunch eggs and nuts, and dinner was the roast beef before 7pm. I don't get it, how could fasting glucose be higher than in January when I was 40 pounds heavier not exercising, and eating more carbs and sugars?
Stress would be my guess. That could easily push your levels up unnaturally high in the moment but not adversely affect your HbA1c.

You mention all this fasting and then quite high carb foods. Did fast before this test as well? Did you eat those things before or after the test because it is not at all clear from your post and if you ate them after the test, why mention them. If you ate them before, then ir was not a fasting test and could explain your higher result.

Stress would be my guess. That could easily push your levels up unnaturally high in the moment but not adversely affect your HbA1c.

You mention all this fasting and then quite high carb foods. Did fast before this test as well? Did you eat those things before or after the test because it is not at all clear from your post and if you ate them after the test, why mention them. If you ate them before, then ir was not a fasting test and could explain your higher result.
The test was on saturday morning. I did a 48 hour fast on wed and thursday. I broke the fast on Friday with an apple for breakfast at around 8am, 2 eggs and nuts for lunch, and then a roast beef dinner with green veggies, a small sweet potato, and a little purple rice. I had some nuts after dinner as well. Just water to drink. My last fasting glucose in May was 93, and A1C was 4.8% so really confused about this. All other biomarkers were good. Trigs for example were 45 whereas last January they were 210, and my BMI is 20.4, whereas last January it was 25. BP was 115/71. So really perplexed why fasting glucose this time was 134, as that is higher than even in January where I got 130 before I started low carb. I'll do another blood test in two weeks, and hopefully everything will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back