1.7 to 23.4 in 9 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
6pm Tuesday BG = 8
7.30 Eating dinner and felt like I was getting very sleepy and faint, didn't think it was my sugar but thought I should test it was 1.9 tested again 1.8 tested again 1.7. Had loads of extra carbs. 11pm back to 8 so I was happy Early hours of the morning 23.4 and needed extra insulin all during the day

I feel absolutely shattered today (thursday) do you think it could be the effect of these erratic sugars?

No doubt........

You probably over compensated with the hypo resolve, when you say lots of carbs, how much are you talking.........

No doubt........

Thank you The extra I had was one small bottle of Luzozade and a packet of chocolate buttons (I had carbohydrate counted the meal perfectly). I was confused as to why the BG was good three hours after the hypo but then so higher later. I think this is one of my worst hypos since being an adult - my other half was really worried particularly because I hadn't realised that my sugar was going so low

No doubt........

Thank you The extra I had was one small bottle of Luzozade and a packet of chocolate buttons (I had carbohydrate counted the meal perfectly). I was confused as to why the BG was good three hours after the hypo but then so higher later. I think this is one of my worst hypos since being an adult - my other half was really worried particularly because I hadn't realised that my sugar was going so low

In my experience I have went quite low (in the 1s) and not noticed it, but it was only a one off as a few days later my hypo warning signs were back at the 3s and 4s, so as far as awareness goes you should still be ok.

You hypo resolve seems to be ok, not overdoing in my eyes. Maybe because you went really low there was some glycogen action from your liver...

Maybye you should test an hour before meals and after any extra activity just incase it happens again and at least until your confident your getting the signs early enough

In my experience I have went quite low (in the 1s) and not noticed it, but it was only a one off as a few days later my hypo warning signs were back at the 3s and 4s, so as far as awareness goes you should still be ok.

You hypo resolve seems to be ok, not overdoing in my eyes. Maybe because you went really low there was some glycogen action from your liver...

Maybye you should test an hour before meals and after any extra activity just incase it happens again and at least until your confident your getting the signs early enough

Hi Thanks very much for your help and advice, it's really reassuring. I must admit that one of my biggest fears is collapsing because of a hypo and it was so close to happening on Tuesday - my body was so close to convincing me that I didn't need to test because it wasn't a hypo - I'm normally quite proud of the fact that my last "collapsing" hypo 25 years ago and hastn't been repeated since

I have been diabetic for 11 years but have never collapsed as such due to hypo.........this was due to bad control and never being low enough to get hypos......

now however I do have hypos and as I say have never collapsed although I have had some bad ones were my sight has went blurry and went very dizzy, this was when I stopped at a garage to get some stuff for the hypo...imagine i didnt make the garage........scary........

AJLang

Hope you are feeling better today. Must have been horrid for you and your partner.

I would suspect part of your 24ish reading was your liver eventually getting the message and deciding to dump a load of glucose into your bloodstream after you had sorted your levels out. Thanks a lot for that Mr Liver!

And yes I have experienced some very tired days after some major sugars wobbles too. It's an emotionally and physically draining experience.

Hope you have a quiet (and bg steady) few days to recover 🙂
M

Last edited:
I'm going to tentatively make a comment here too!

The fat content in the chocolate may also have slowed down the conversion of the carbs into blood glucose as well, thereby giving you a later peak than expected?

Andy "Quickly slips away after commenting on a Type 1's control" HB 😉

The fat content in the chocolate may also have slowed down the conversion of the carbs into blood glucose as well, thereby giving you a later peak than expected?

You have proven your wothiness to comment on T1 control before..all advice and info is welcome, espcecially the good stuff......

Andy there is absolutely no need to quickly slip away - you are probably right and this echoes some of my thoughts - it was just at the time having eaten dinner (with the BG then at 1.7) I'd found it really difficult to find room for the whole bottle of Lucozade and was desperate to increase my BG (and not thinking too straight) hence the chocolate.......

I have been diabetic for 11 years but have never collapsed as such due to hypo.........this was due to bad control and never being low enough to get hypos......

now however I do have hypos and as I say have never collapsed although I have had some bad ones were my sight has went blurry and went very dizzy, this was when I stopped at a garage to get some stuff for the hypo...imagine i didnt make the garage........scary........

That is scary, glad that you made it to the garage ok.

Thanks Caroline and M - still feel really wobbly today but fortunately it's a non-working day (although I should really be getting through my things to do list) but think I will listen to my body and recharge - I definitely feel that I could benefit from a few days of near normal sugars

This is more than likely a 'rebound' from the low you had. Your liver kicked in and sent a load of glucose out, so along with the carbs you ate it all contributed to the rise later. Be very careful over the next week or so as your very likely to have another low as your liver is wiped out and needs time to replenish - so if have even a mild hypo your liver may not be able to help out and could send you even lower. Try to keep your levels up for a few days and avoid any hypo's if possible. I dont think you over-reacted with the carbs at all - its the rebound that caused the high so dont feel bad.🙂Bev

This is more than likely a 'rebound' from the low you had. Your liver kicked in and sent a load of glucose out, so along with the carbs you ate it all contributed to the rise later. Be very careful over the next week or so as your very likely to have another low as your liver is wiped out and needs time to replenish - so if have even a mild hypo your liver may not be able to help out and could send you even lower. Try to keep your levels up for a few days and avoid any hypo's if possible. I dont think you over-reacted with the carbs at all - its the rebound that caused the high so dont feel bad.Bev

Actually, you've just reminded me of a question I have.

1) Just how long does it take for the liver to replenish itself?
2) Does regular activity prevent or just slow that replenishment?
3) Does it really work like that? 😉

(Ok, it was three questions). 🙄

Also, a little thanks to AJ and NRB for their kind comments earlier.

Andy 🙂

Actually, you've just reminded me of a question I have.

1) Just how long does it take for the liver to replenish itself?
2) Does regular activity prevent or just slow that replenishment?
3) Does it really work like that? 😉

(Ok, it was three questions).

Also, a little thanks to AJ and NRB for their kind comments earlier.

Andy 🙂

Hi Andy,
1) I have been told that it can take up to 3 weeks if there have been several hypo's on the run/
2) Activity on its own does not prevent replenishment, but you obviously run the risk of another hypo by doing the exercise which might then put pressure on the liver as it needs to start the whole process all over again.
3) ?:D

I forgot to say that you are more than entitled to comment on type 1 issues as you have obviously been taking note. Personally I think that type 1's and type 2's have things they can learn from each other.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back