1.6 - here's what happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbell84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
morning people, went to bed last night with reading of 16.6 , injecting 14 units to bring it down which i usually do when it is that high.

1:21am get woken by my bf, i am dripping in sweat, he wakes me because i am shaking, i try to get out of bed, saying im fine, my legs buckle and i can barely breathe. do sugars (well, he does) and they are 1.6 i have had sugars of 1.8 before and not suffered as badly as this, could this be that i was coming out of a hypo in my sleep?

any advice would be appreciated

feel super embarrassed this morning about it all.

What's your correction ratio? 14 units seems a lot as I guess you were trying to bring your level down by about 10. Doesn't mean it's wrong though as we all have different ratios! When was your last insulin dose before that, could there have been some cross over at all?

I find with hypos that I don't necessarily feel worse the lower they are, I've felt absolutely fine on a 1.7 but shocking on a 3 for example. I tend to find night time ones feel ten times worse. There is also the issue that meters aren't as accurate at extremely low levels, so it may have been you were actually lower than the 1.6 it said.

How are you feeling this morning? The 'hangover' from a night time hypo can be particularly painful!

Can't add to advice, but hope you are feeling better.

was tring to explain to the other half that it felt like i was drunk, kept saying "im fine" all the time and not remembering what happened!! this morning i feel like im hungover, mahoosive headache, so downing water by the bottle full and munching on some fruit at the moment, its the loss of control that i am more upset about, im trying to prove to him that ive got the hang of my diabetes, but after last night, it feels like he has the upper hand almost

:(

i think my nightime ones are def worse than the daytime, plus it scares me a lil bit as i live alone so if that happened when he wasnt around, i dread to think what would have happened

Hi, sorry to hear about this - it must have been very scary! I've woken in the past with some pretty low readings - 2.2 I think the lowest. Meters are usually within 10%, so at low levels it is likely to be close to the truth (10% of 20 is a margin of 2mmol/l, but 10% of 1.6 is 0.16 mmol/l).

Personally, I would not correct at bedtime - that would bother me more than the thought of being high during the night. Whatever I am at bedtime, that's it - I take my basal and leave it to the fates. But, it's a very personal thing and some people are more comfortable with correcting. I also don't experience the swings that a lot of people do, so I'm lucky in that respect.

I'd have a word with the DSN and make sure the correction strategy and dosage were appropriate. Hope the 'hangover' goes soon - not fair when you haven't even had a drink!😱

Hi, did you do any exercise previously say in the last 24hours which could have affected the absorbtion rate or had anything in particluar for dinner that would have sent you high and then low later?

Hope you feel ok today

no exercise or anything, we didnt even have "happy time" as sometimes i get hypo's after that.... which is quite funny

seeing DSN in september so watch this space

Thanks for advice guys

xxx

Ah that goes that theory 🙂

Maybe you were coming down from the 16 earlier and the correction just tipped it too much....CGMS would have been a godsend at that point.

Hope all goes well today

Do you have a correction ratio? because I agree with Aymes that seemed like alot of insulin to give.
Hope you feel better as the day goes on

hope you're feeling ok now :(

that amount of insulin sounds like a lot. I always find nighttime hypos are the worst. I had a pretty bad one a couple of weeks ago now where i woke up at about 5.30am after the most awful nightmare and couldn't move. After about 15 minutes of trying to work out where i was and finally getting up and stumbling across the room, i was at 1.9

Have a chat with your dsn, see if she can offer any advice on it - you're lucky your oh was there!!

hi cant offer any advice but hope you are feeling better now HellBell x

I agree with the others that it seems quite a large correction dose, but I appreciate that everyone's insulin sensitivity is different.

The only things I would say is are you sure you were at 16? If you weren't, it might explain why you crashed. Also, when did you go to bed? You might have dropped really quickly, and I find those ones always feels worse, and I go lower than I would usually.

I hope you're feeling better now, night-time hypos are awful. :(

Feel hardly able to respond after only 8 months with my son, but one thing does occur: we are pretty sure that his sensitivity is completely different at night, and what might bring him down 3mmols in the day may bring him down 5 or 6mmols between 11pm and 2am. He has had several very low lows (1s) between these times of night in the last few months, mostly we think due to really quite tiny amounts of active insulin going into that time of night -- on top of basal.

Also maybe worth saying that we don't correct at night without checking 1 or 2 hours later for this very reason -- it's always felt a little unpredictable at night, don't know if that's a common thing...

In any case, really hope you are feeling better and sorry it happened. Your bf needs to know that sometimes diabetes just *does* this stuff too -- and it doesn't mean you don't have control, etc...

Hi

Sorry this happened. You really can't think like your OH has the upper hand, its your diabetes, you are the person in control, not him. It is great though that you have him there to help you out with these types of hypos so say thanks very much but sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do about having these hypos, sometimes they just happen !!!

I was going to say the same thing as Patricia re the correction factor. Bearing in mind I am talking purely from a child's type of diabetes and a childs correction factor so will be different but this is purely to point out the differences.

In the day time Jessica, my 9 year old, has a correction factor of 6.5 so 1 unit brings her down by 6.5 mmol (in theory). At nightime however we have worked out that it is 16. So 1 unit will bring her down by 16 mmol, that is a huge difference.

What you injected may be ok for you or may have been in the past but things may have changed and you may need a different correction factor now.

Damn diabeties and all its changes it throws at us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back