0-calories foods

Meglorien

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi,
I went to a webinar about the NHS remission path, which is the shakes and soups thing, on the run up to my start date on the 18th Sept.
Someone mentioned 0-calories snacks. I've investigated it a little - a very little, I admit, I just looked at lists. But then I was surprised to hear about how high in carbs these can be. I'm a little confused.
I was wondering about them because somebody asked if they could have these foods during the 12-weeks on shakes and soups and the presenters were a bit dodgy in their reply (they didn't say no, advised only cucumber and celery and said to talk to coach). Fair enough. It sounded like a good way to offset the boredom of the shakes and soups, but if they're going to be high in carbs...
Anybody has knowledge/experience about these?

You’ve misunderstood something somewhere. You can’t have a snack that is 0 calories but high carbs. That doesn’t exist. Only water is 0 calories.

This
You can’t have a snack that is 0 calories but high carbs
Carbs are 4 calories per gram, so for example if something had 20 carbs per 100g, then 50grams = 40 calories
and that is assuming it has zero fat and zero protein

Hi,
I went to a webinar about the NHS remission path, which is the shakes and soups thing, on the run up to my start date on the 18th Sept.
Someone mentioned 0-calories snacks. I've investigated it a little - a very little, I admit, I just looked at lists. But then I was surprised to hear about how high in carbs these can be. I'm a little confused.
I was wondering about them because somebody asked if they could have these foods during the 12-weeks on shakes and soups and the presenters were a bit dodgy in their reply (they didn't say no, advised only cucumber and celery and said to talk to coach). Fair enough. It sounded like a good way to offset the boredom of the shakes and soups, but if they're going to be high in carbs...
Anybody has knowledge/experience about these?
If something had no calories in it there would be no point in eating it.

I wonder perhaps if they're referring to the apocryphal idea of negative calories i.e that there are certain foods that offer less calories/energy than they take to eat (chew, digest etc.):

And neither celery nor cucumbers are 'high' in carbs. They do contain a good amount of 'structured' water, fibre, vits&mins. They can help as part of overall satiety, as well as general nutrition 🙂

I wonder perhaps if they're referring to the apocryphal idea of negative calories i.e that there are certain foods that offer less calories/energy than they take to eat (chew, digest etc.):

And neither celery nor cucumbers are 'high' in carbs. They do contain a good amount of 'structured' water, fibre, vits&mins. They can help as part of overall satiety, as well as general nutrition 🙂
Remember Bernstein - if it's not Fat or Protein it must be Carbohydrate. In fact both Celery and Cucumber are 'high carb' theoretically in that 50% of the nutritional value of Celery comes from carb ( 3.6 calories out of 7 per 100 grams). Cucumber's value is 60% carb (6 out of 10 calories per 100g). Veg like them are part of the 'hidden carbs' we tend to ignore by accident or design.

Last edited:
I think the proteins are 0 or very low carbs such as boiled egg 1.1 carb, ham 1.5, lettuce and mixed salad 1g carbs, raw mushrooms and mushrooms fried in butter, cheddar cheese portion 0 carbs (info carbs and cals pocket book) So you could have mushroom, egg or ham salad which would be very little carbs. I think we do need some carbs personally.

I think the proteins are 0 or very low carbs such as boiled egg 1.1 carb, ham 1.5, lettuce and mixed salad 1g carbs, raw mushrooms and mushrooms fried in butter, cheddar cheese portion 0 carbs (info carbs and cals pocket book) So you could have mushroom, egg or ham salad which would be very little carbs. I think we do need some carbs personally.
This thread is about 0 CALORIE food not 0 CARBOHYDRATE foods.

This thread is about 0 CALORIE food not 0 CARBOHYDRATE foods.
oh right, carbs on the brain :D @Meglorien mixed salad leaves 4 cals :D I think a person may depart the planet on 0 or very low calories.

oh right, carbs on the brain :D @Meglorien mixed salad leaves 4 cals :D I think a person may depart the planet on 0 or very low calories.
@Meglorien is I believe, starting an 800calorie a day soups and shakes program and was talking about possible 0 calorie snacks that could be eaten between the soups and shakes that would not throw them off course with the 800 calorie allowance.
No one is suggesting anyone can exist on 0 calories a day.

@Meglorien is I believe, starting an 800calorie a day soups and shakes program and was talking about possible 0 calorie snacks that could be eaten between the soups and shakes that would not throw them off course with the 800 calorie allowance.
No one is suggesting anyone can exist on 0 calories a day.
I intended my comment for Meglorien and referring to her query regarding 0 calorie foods - your comment unecessary.

Thank you, everybody. Yes, some explanation is necessary. I was talking about snacks (or more to the point, things that can be chewed) during the shakes and soups, since they're happy with us adding spices and herbs.

And you are right, there are no-calories foods or they would not be worth eating (eating only 4 calories in a salad would probably not make for a good survival rate either, Jodee, if that's all one ate!)
I'm assuming the spices and herbs have a neglible amount. On the list of low-cal there were carrots, but while they may be low on calories, they are high on sugar - relatively speaking. I hadn't even heard of no-cal before the webinar, so it was rather confusing. I'll ask the coach on my first meeting. Here's the list I had found when I wrote the orginal post: https://www.ryanandalex.com/zero-calorie-foods/
I don't see carrots there now, so I must have confused things. I also don't expect them to be ok with me having a peach, which is on the list. But if I could get away with adding garlic, spring onions and celery on the soups, that would be great for both the chewing action and for adding variety to the very dull, not very tasty soups from Habitual... I can't bear the idea of only having sweet shakes for 12 weeks!

Come to think of it, a 4-calorie salad sounds good too, for variety...

Thank you all again for the comments, they are all appreciated.

Thank you, everybody. Yes, some explanation is necessary. I was talking about snacks (or more to the point, things that can be chewed) during the shakes and soups, since they're happy with us adding spices and herbs.

And you are right, there are no-calories foods or they would not be worth eating (eating only 4 calories in a salad would probably not make for a good survival rate either, Jodee, if that's all one ate!)
I'm assuming the spices and herbs have a neglible amount. On the list of low-cal there were carrots, but while they may be low on calories, they are high on sugar - relatively speaking. I hadn't even heard of no-cal before the webinar, so it was rather confusing. I'll ask the coach on my first meeting. Here's the list I had found when I wrote the orginal post: https://www.ryanandalex.com/zero-calorie-foods/
I don't see carrots there now, so I must have confused things. I also don't expect them to be ok with me having a peach, which is on the list. But if I could get away with adding garlic, spring onions and celery on the soups, that would be great for both the chewing action and for adding variety to the very dull, not very tasty soups from Habitual... I can't bear the idea of only having sweet shakes for 12 weeks!

Come to think of it, a 4-calorie salad sounds good too, for variety...

Thank you all again for the comments, they are all appreciated.
It depends on what flavour the soups are but adding herbs like parsley, basil, chives or spices like coriander, paprika, black pepper should zip them up.
There are lots of salad things which are low cal apart from lettuce that can be eaten raw. Cabbage, spinach, cucumber, rocket, pea shoots, radish, raw mushrooms, peppers. A drizzle of balsamic as a dressing.

It depends on what flavour the soups are but adding herbs like parsley, basil, chives or spices like coriander, paprika, black pepper should zip them up.
There are lots of salad things which are low cal apart from lettuce that can be eaten raw. Cabbage, spinach, cucumber, rocket, pea shoots, radish, raw mushrooms, peppers. A drizzle of balsamic as a dressing.
Thanks. I'll take that to coach when we meet. I'm only starting on the 18th, so I'm researching. This is very helpful - and it'll be helpful afterwards too.

Back