“Smart Insulin” Research Receives a Boost from JDRF and Sanofi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No more carb counting, no more insulin dose calculations, no more walking the tightrope between hypos and highs? This is, indeed, the holy grail promise of “smart insulin,” or glucose-responsive insulin, the focus of a recent joint investment from JDRF and Sanofi. The $4.6 million in funding over three years will support early research from four researchers developing new and discrete approaches to glucose-responsive insulin. JDRF has prioritized this area of research for several years now, and more collaborations may be announced in the next few months.

Only one smart insulin candidate is currently in early human trials (Merck), meaning it will be several years until any product could conceivably launch. Still, it’s exciting to see so much interest in this concept, which could eliminate the dangers of taking insulin, the daily hassles of blood glucose monitoring, and the worry that comes with it.

http://diatribe.org/smart-insulin-research-receives-boost-jdrf-and-sanofi

Just imagine - no MDI, pumps or glucose monitoring, no hypos or hypers, just one injection a day. I really hope something like this can happen for once although I won't be holding my breath. 🙂

It's probably 10 years away. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back