‘Supporting the NHS doesn’t mean resisting change’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dr Marilyn Plant believes that the traditional model of hospital care is changing, and the workforce needs to be able to deliver care in the community.

Describe your role in one sentence: As a GP I have many roles and like many colleagues I am also involved in commissioning, including being medical director for the South West London collaborative commissioning programme and leading the development of a community education provider network (CEPN).

Why did you want to work as a GP? I think I found my way into general practice because it provided me with the opportunity to treat people rather than diseases. It also gave me the chance to develop skills in other areas like teaching, management and commissioning, which I find interesting and challenging.

How do you want to see the sector change in the next five years? The NHS and general practice are in my DNA so I want them both to survive and thrive, but change is necessary to meet the needs of a changing and ageing population with greater expectations of the NHS. There is also less money to fund modern and more expensive drugs and health technologies.

http://www.theguardian.com/healthca.../marilyn-plant-commissioning-general-practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back