‘Rebooting’ insulin-producing cells key to Type 2 diabetes remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2018/08/directstudy/

A landmark trial has revealed further important insights into exactly how weight loss can put Type 2 diabetes into remission.

The research, led by Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University, suggests that for remission to be possible, insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas need to recover and make the right amount of insulin again.

In their latest Diabetes UK-funded study, published in Cell Metabolism, researchers at Newcastle University explored exactly how weight loss can put Type 2 diabetes into remission, and why it might work for some people and not others.

At last, a British study (from a centre of excellence) which is actually interesting and useful to humans rather than rodents.

At last, a British study (from a centre of excellence) which is actually interesting and useful to humans rather than rodents.

But I hear that the human-model is a pretty good surrogate for mice, so it's probably interesting for them also 🙂

Still only a small number of participants though.

"DiRECT involves 298 people and is jointly led by Professor Taylor, of Newcastle University, and Professor Mike Lean, of the University of Glasgow. The study aims to test if a new weight management approach can put Type 2 diabetes into remission for the long-term.

The programme involves a low-calorie diet, reintroduction of healthy food, and long-term support to maintain weight loss. Initial findings in December 2017 revealed that almost half the participants (46%) receiving the programme were in remission after 12 months and not taking medication for diabetes"

298 isn't too small a number, and a success rate of 46% seems good odd to me.
I did it, as it was 8 weeks, and I couldn't see what I had to lose if I didn't go into remission. (Apart from some more fat, so that was win win for me)

It appeals to me. I understand the model (to a certain extent), it's a very credible research team, it offers prospects of reversal, it's a big enough study conducted in a real-world primary care setting. Going to check it out some more; no idea if it would work for me.

"DiRECT involves 298 people and is jointly led by Professor Taylor, of Newcastle University, and Professor Mike Lean, of the University of Glasgow. The study aims to test if a new weight management approach can put Type 2 diabetes into remission for the long-term.

The programme involves a low-calorie diet, reintroduction of healthy food, and long-term support to maintain weight loss. Initial findings in December 2017 revealed that almost half the participants (46%) receiving the programme were in remission after 12 months and not taking medication for diabetes"

298 isn't too small a number, and a success rate of 46% seems good odd to me.
I did it, as it was 8 weeks, and I couldn't see what I had to lose if I didn't go into remission. (Apart from some more fat, so that was win win for me)
It is still a small number for a medical study and the there has been no long term follow up.

It is still a small number for a medical study and the there has been no long term follow up.
It's actually a lot bigger than an acceptable sample size for a medical study, usually about 64 is enough to give a statistically acceptable result.

Personally, for me, my one was enough, and I'm doing my own ongoing long term follow up, which looks very good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back