The pH Miracle for Diabetes ? Robert O. Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is a fine example of the kind of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo that can be found circulating everywhere these days, claiming remarkable improvements to blood glucose control by means of some previously unheard of, and currently unproven, theory. In this particular case, Dr Young claims that disease is due to an acid-alkali imbalance in the body, and proposes a methodology and diet to redress this imbalance. As with all such books, there are no doubt elements of truth, in that it is generally the case that an improved diet and frequent exercise will help people with diabetes to manage their condition better. However, this book is based on a ‘discovery’ by Dr Young of a property of cell biology that does not appear to have been validated by the remaining body of scientific expertise. The only validation he can find to support his ‘discovery’ is the writings of an obscure nineteenth century scientist who is said to have observed something similar.

The tactics used in the book to convince the reader are familiar: discredit current diabetes therapies that rely on medications and insulin by blaming the greed of big pharmaceutical companies who wish to hold onto their grip of the lucrative diabetes drug market; undermine the confidence of worried and vulnerable people in their current therapy by intimating that they will inevitably end up blind and on dialysis with both their feet missing; back up your theory with scientific studies of your own, plus anecdotal evidence that it works. In this particular case, the author conducted a study on 40 diabetics (types 1 and 2), 10 of whom dropped out before the study was complete. Now, set this against the myriad studies involving hundreds of thousands of people, conducted independently of drug companies – which would provide more convincing evidence, do you think? The good doctor then cites ‘testimonials’ from people who have followed his plan, with remarkable results. One in particular struck me – the case of ‘Kevin’, a type 1 diabetic for 33 years, who managed to stop taking insulin and ‘virtually eliminate his Type 1 diabetes’. This is not possible, full stop – there is nothing currently available to a type 1 diabetic whose body no longer produces insulin that will mean he can stop injecting it – and especially not from drinking a ‘green drink’. There are many other similar ‘case studies’, none of which can be independently verified – I could invent a thousand of them, but it wouldn’t make them true!

Complete hogwash and dangerous nonsense, read it only as a work of fiction!

The PH Miracle for Diabetes: The Revolutionary Lifestyle Plan for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes

Wikipaedia page for Robert O Young states the following:
Research supporting alkaline diets, like that promoted by Young, is limited to in vitro and animal studies. There is no scientific evidence at present that alkaline diets are beneficial in humans.[24] According to the National Council Against Health Fraud, a 2005 MEDLINE search indicated that Young had not published any research in recognized scientific journals, and that none of his graduate degrees was from an accredited educational institution.

Last edited:
Don't knock it Northy, fiction books are ALWAYS the best....

Good post Northerner. Plenty of predatory people like him who prey on people looking for a miracle cure.

Nasty fraudsters.

Rob

Wow!! What nice info on this post! All information really useful. I love your stuff very much.Thanks for sharing this helpful post.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a fine example of the kind of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo that can be found circulating everywhere these days, claiming remarkable improvements to blood glucose control by means of some previously unheard of, and currently unproven, theory. In this particular case, Dr Young claims that disease is due to an acid-alkali imbalance in the body, and proposes a methodology and diet to redress this imbalance. [...]

I suspect that "Dr." Young's ideas about pathology come from an excess of acid in his student days. :p Maybe he should have switched to beer to redress the imbalance. :D

Don't knock it Northy, fiction books are ALWAYS the best....

From this book, I wonder if "Dr. Young" is a pseudonym of Dan Brown. :D

The Amazon UK page is a bit depressing; the review by Alan has, predictably, been shouted down by the usual conspiracy-theory nutcases. (The first one gives the olde argument that "all new ideas are rejected by 'the establishment' at first" (not true, and in any case this commenter is making the usual mistake of confusing implication with equivalence; even if it were true that all ideas are rejected until time proves them true, it doesn't follow that an idea getting rejected "proves" that it will turn out to be a true and valuable idea -- most ideas which are rejected meet this fate because they're of similar quality to the movies of Uwe Boll. The word I have in mind existed before Boll was born and hence isn't an eponym, but it could have been). A classic example being the true reason why Christopher Columbus found it so difficult to get backing for his proposed voyage to India; contrary to urban myth, not only was it well known by 1490 that the world was round (and had been since classic Greek times, 2000 years earlier), but even the size of the globe was known pretty accurately -- hence most would-be backers didn't want to know about Columbus' voyage plan because he'd seriously underestimated the distance to India in a westerly direction. As things turned out, if it weren't for the fortunate circumstance of the Americas getting in the way, Columbus and his crew would have run out of supplies and starved to death.)

Someone is now using the reviews of this book to spam a DVD claiming that eating a diet consisting entirely of raw food can "reverse" diabetes -- in 30 days, yet. :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00522P2G8

Certainly, since to my knowledge no vegetable or fruit has an appreciable amount of iron (the claim that spinach does is an urban myth, deliberately fostered in order to push the revolting stuff) and no meat can safely be eaten raw, even if going on such a diet did "reverse" my T2, it wouldn't matter because I'd be dead of anaemia. :eek:

Someone is now using the reviews of this book to spam a DVD claiming that eating a diet consisting entirely of raw food can "reverse" diabetes -- in 30 days, yet. :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00522P2G8

Certainly, since to my knowledge no vegetable or fruit has an appreciable amount of iron (the claim that spinach does is an urban myth, deliberately fostered in order to push the revolting stuff) and no meat can safely be eaten raw, even if going on such a diet did "reverse" my T2, it wouldn't matter because I'd be dead of anaemia. :eek:

So all vegetarians suffer from anaemia - I don't think so. Spinach has 15 times more iron than steak! (P.S. I will stick with a Steak however), which is probably why it tastes so disgusting.

From the limited research I have just done on this 'yet another weird diet' it mainly concentrates on eating raw fruit and vegetables. Apparently there are sub-groups of raw food eaters, I personally liked the group called 'Sproutarians' - people who live mainly on sprouts:eek: and we complain about Metformin!

P.S. eating too much iron can be poisonous for a man as we have no way to get rid of excess iron - women get rid of the excess every month.

This is a fine example of the kind of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo that can be found circulating everywhere these days, claiming remarkable improvements to blood glucose control by means of some previously unheard of, and currently unproven, theory. In this particular case, Dr Young claims that disease is due to an acid-alkali imbalance in the body, and proposes a methodology and diet to redress this imbalance. As with all such books, there are no doubt elements of truth, in that it is generally the case that an improved diet and frequent exercise will help people with diabetes to manage their condition better. However, this book is based on a ?discovery? by Dr Young of a property of cell biology that does not appear to have been validated by the remaining body of scientific expertise. The only validation he can find to support his ?discovery? is the writings of an obscure nineteenth century scientist who is said to have observed something similar.

The tactics used in the book to convince the reader are familiar: discredit current diabetes therapies that rely on medications and insulin by blaming the greed of big pharmaceutical companies who wish to hold onto their grip of the lucrative diabetes drug market; undermine the confidence of worried and vulnerable people in their current therapy by intimating that they will inevitably end up blind and on dialysis with both their feet missing; back up your theory with scientific studies of your own, plus anecdotal evidence that it works. In this particular case, the author conducted a study on 40 diabetics (types 1 and 2), 10 of whom dropped out before the study was complete. Now, set this against the myriad studies involving hundreds of thousands of people, conducted independently of drug companies ? which would provide more convincing evidence, do you think? The good doctor then cites ?testimonials? from people who have followed his plan, with remarkable results. One in particular struck me ? the case of ?Kevin?, a type 1 diabetic for 33 years, who managed to stop taking insulin and ?virtually eliminate his Type 1 diabetes?. This is not possible, full stop ? there is nothing currently available to a type 1 diabetic whose body no longer produces insulin that will mean he can stop injecting it ? and especially not from drinking a ?green drink?. There are many other similar ?case studies?, none of which can be independently verified ? I could invent a thousand of them, but it wouldn?t make them true!

The PH Miracle for Diabetes: The Revolutionary Lifestyle Plan for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes

Wikipaedia page for Robert O Young states the following:

I liked the response from A. Banville to your review of this book on Amazon. Didn't know it was a Amazon reviews constituted a forum. Especially interesting as he quotes an American/Russian immigrant as an example of someone cured of diabetes - but we only have his word for it and now he's an expert (without qualifications) and he and his family (the Raw family) make money from his 'cure' obtained from a women in a bank queue. Oh well back to the nut diet - there goes one now.

So all vegetarians suffer from anaemia - I don't think so.

That isn't what I said -- I said that I would rapidly come down with anaemia on such a diet. I know this from experience (twice).

Spinach has 15 times more iron than steak!

As I already said, from what I've heard this is an urban myth, fostered by the Spinach Growers of America (and the Popeye cartoons) in the early 20th century. According to the Wikipedia page, spinach has at best only 50% more iron than beef (in the form of hamburger), and this may be a misleading figure because the samples were probably contaminated with iron from the soil still attached. And it gets worse; spinach not only probably doesn't contain significant iron, what it definitely does contain is chelating substances such as oxalic acid, which not only prevents all or most of the iron from being used by the body, but can actually deplete the body of iron ingested from other sources.

I just read the comments on your review Alan, and I can't believe that people even suggest that you should try a treatment that means you would die within weeks!!!!!!!!!! They really, really, just don't get it do they?

I just read the comments on your review Alan, and I can't believe that people even suggest that you should try a treatment that means you would die within weeks!!!!!!!!!! They really, really, just don't get it do they?

Such comments are written by people who haven't really read my review, and more than likely haven't read the book I'm reviewing or have any connection with diabetes. I suppose that, should they ever be diagnosed and decide to follow books like this then the saving grace is that they will rapidly be removed from the gene pool...:eek:

It DOES echo! :)

Digging through my old download files today, I found one about how homoeopathy is a major fraud. (I had no internet access of my own back then, hence saved interesting pages insead of bookmarking them.) Following a link in it took me to the present-day Quackwatch site, and there I found an interesting article about "Doctor" Young:

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/young3.html

Hehe! Thanks for this Robert. I read something similar before writing my review. It really is fraud and should be treated as such. There again, anyone who actually believes his bull (and there are a few commentors on my amazon review!) is perhaps subject to Darwin's principles and looking to remove themselves from the gene pool ;)

p.s. just read previous posts and realise this is what I said in January 2012! :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back