Brits are dying in their tens of thousands - and we don't really have any idea why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For decades the age standardised mortailty has been falling around the world for many developed countries. Now in a stark u-turn tens of thousands more Brits are dying than expected and experts aren’t quite sure why that is. They have absolutely no idea why we have had a sudden increase in mortailty rates.

From May to December last year, there were 32,441 excess deaths in England and Wales, excluding deaths from Covid. This means that over 32,000 Brits would’ve been expected to be alive, but died according to (ONS) figures across this period.

Similar trend for those sick in workforce.

Last edited:
Unexpected deaths are more than 10% higher than the pre-Covid average, with experts warning we are facing “a catastrophe of equal proportion to the pandemic itself”.

They are calling for an urgent investigation into the causes, with figures showing that there were more excess – or unexpected – losses last year than in 2021.

There were 67,724 extra deaths in England and Wales between April 30th 2022 and April 28th 2023. That is 12.8% above the pre-pandemic five-year average.

Of these, a quarter were attributed to Covid, with three-quarters given as non-coronavirus causes.
This excess is higher than the number of excess deaths during the pandemic in 2021. Then there were 54,770 extra, mostly Covid deaths compared to the pre-pandemic five-year average – a 10.3% increase.

Not only excess deaths - the staff in the shops along the High Street are getting sudden collapses in their shops, so many that they are setting up teams to deal with the distressed relatives and training ALL the staff to do CPR as a matter of course. Some shops even have screens to wheel out ready and waiting for the next incident.

Not only excess deaths - the staff in the shops along the High Street are getting sudden collapses in their shops, so many that they are setting up teams to deal with the distressed relatives and training ALL the staff to do CPR as a matter of course. Some shops even have screens to wheel out ready and waiting for the next incident.
citation needed

citation needed
I am with several morris teams as musician and the younger people have all spoken about their experiences of collapses in their shops and the training they have either been given or had to show new arrivals.
A couple of weeks ago at practice one of the dancers collapsed and needed CPR and a defibrillator to bring him back. We have since had details of how to get a defibrillator from one of the locked boxes with a code from the 999 operator. Our firstaiders have been invited to a training session on the use of them.
We were at Winchester on 20th May and noticed the teams of first aiders at all the major dance spots - not something seen in previous years.

Increase in publicly accessible defibrillators is an international public policy thing, dating back several years.

They've been gradually spreading in public places, wherever you go. Saved the life of a friend of mine a couple of years ago, when she had a sudden cardiac arrest.

In my state the govt recently passed legislation requiring that all public buildings have defibrillators.

Last edited:
I am with several morris teams as musician and the younger people have all spoken about their experiences of collapses in their shops and the training they have either been given or had to show new arrivals.
A couple of weeks ago at practice one of the dancers collapsed and needed CPR and a defibrillator to bring him back. We have since had details of how to get a defibrillator from one of the locked boxes with a code from the 999 operator. Our firstaiders have been invited to a training session on the use of them.
We were at Winchester on 20th May and noticed the teams of first aiders at all the major dance spots - not something seen in previous years.
As part of the vaccination volunteer training in 2021 St Johns ambulance trained 27,000 vaccination volunteers in CPR and are planning to train an additional 60,000 as part of a new programme.

Google trends is a really useful tool to search out trends in google searches.

As part of the vaccination volunteer training in 2021 St Johns ambulance trained 27,000 vaccination volunteers in CPR and are planning to train an additional 60,000 as part of a new programme.
I don't think either of those is because the number of incidents has increased. For the vaccination effort that's just an inevitable result of giving a large proportion of the population a couple of doses of vaccine: if you're seeing that number of people, some of them are going to need CPR. Not many, but a bunch will need some kind of first aid (a lot will faint, for example).

The google trends just shows what people are searching for, not necessarily what's happening.

It's certainly plausible there's been an increase. It's known that COVID-19 increases the risk of a variety of such things (some have suggested it's more of a cardiovascular disease than a respiratory one because of how infection with the virus (even asymptomatically) can cause such damage).

I'm just a bit sceptical that there's such a significant change that people would be routinely planning for people collapsing. And not being at all interested in, say, reducing the presence of the virus that's actually causing the problem.

I don't think either of those is because the number of incidents has increased. For the vaccination effort that's just an inevitable result of giving a large proportion of the population a couple of doses of vaccine: if you're seeing that number of people, some of them are going to need CPR. Not many, but a bunch will need some kind of first aid (a lot will faint, for example).

The google trends just shows what people are searching for, not necessarily what's happening.

It's certainly plausible there's been an increase. It's known that COVID-19 increases the risk of a variety of such things (some have suggested it's more of a cardiovascular disease than a respiratory one because of how infection with the virus (even asymptomatically) can cause such damage).

I'm just a bit sceptical that there's such a significant change that people would be routinely planning for people collapsing. And not being at all interested in, say, reducing the presence of the virus that's actually causing the problem.
We were told that the heart attack at the dance practice was as a result of a viral infection, but not what virus it was, and the man seemed to be in perfect health just moments before he went over like a felled tree.
All the shop workers were chatting about their new training as a result of the incident, but it had been mentioned before that already certified first aiders were being asked to upgrade their skills to deal with 'sudden collapse' incidents and they were glad of it as they had been seeing them in youngish people for some time and having to go on their previous training plus calls to 999.

And these AEDs have been appearing over the past few years (nothing to do with the pandemic). I presume because the technology has become good enough (and cheap enough) to make them practical. And, while rare, sudden collapses of athletes is (and always has been) a thing that happens, so it makes lots of sense for schools to have an AED (once they became cheap enough) for those rare cases.

My sister is convinced it's because we've all been jabbed for Covid! :(

My sister is convinced it's because we've all been jabbed for Covid! :(
At least you are both aware of the excess deaths, many aren't. How many nights this or any other week have we seen the daily press briefings on all the current excess deaths? Where is the global response? Where are the experts? Where is "the science" to explain it all? It's all gone very, very quiet.

I tend to keep out of this sort of thread for a very simple reason. It is that I just do not have the time or the inclination to go back to the base data to find out what it actually says and what those who collected it have to say. One thing I am pretty sure of is that there is a hell of a lot more to it than the simplicity of the attention grabbing headlines from the Daily Express and Daily Mirror quoted above. The notion that people are dropping dead in droves on the high street and that its all got something to do with dark secrets about the effects of covid vaccination is just plain daft.

Can I suggest, not as a moderator, but as a sensible human being who has done a few miles, that the sort of speculation seen in this thread and some others is not helpful to anybody. It is particularly unhelpful to those who come here looking for support and find stuff which can only increase any anxiety they might have.

At least you are both aware of the excess deaths, many aren't. How many nights this or any other week have we seen the daily press briefings on all the current excess deaths? Where is the global response? Where are the experts? Where is "the science" to explain it all? It's all gone very, very quiet.
I suspect because it's chronic rather than acute, so there's no value in having daily, weekly, or even monthly briefings. And it looks like it's a complex combination of things, making it even less likely to be covered by journalists.

FT did some analysis a few months ago suggesting that the excess (at the time) was neatly explained (according to a model, anyway) by delays in emergency care (if ambulances are late, people are going to die); it's not really surprising that the government wasn't very interested in giving briefings on that.

Likely there's delay in diagnosis and treatment (caused by the pandemic and subsequent stress on the NHS), and illness caused by the virus. (It seemed that even people who'd survived and left hospital were much more likely to end up in hospital again within the next year.) And that's something the government really doesn't want to bring attention to either. They, and many journalists (and many of the rest of us, really) want to pretend it's all over now, and that getting repeatedly infected won't be harmful.

Can I suggest, not as a moderator, but as a sensible human being who has done a few miles, that the sort of speculation seen in this thread and some others is not helpful to anybody. It is particularly unhelpful to those who come here looking for support and find stuff which can only increase any anxiety they might have.
I agree, not everything is helpful. If we look at things that aren't helpful to others, that would sum up the entire news and entertainment industry. The tv's and papers are full of bad news, fear, hate, crime, scandals, you name it if it's related to all the worst of human behaviour it's on the news. People go out of their way to walk to the shop each morning to get their dose of news or switch on their tv's for their nightly dose of crime, hate and war. Seems it's what many want. Even looking at all the movies and documentaries on various networks, 95% of it is all hate, war, murder and crime etc. This is the very reason I don't watch the news, buy newspapers or watch these "great" movies and documentaries.

People can decide for themselves what to watch and what not to watch.

I was intending to be reassuring that if something does happen there are people with equipment and training who can help - our dancer is out and about with his family and although not quite as dapper as he used to appear - he has cracked ribs from the vigorous CPR the ambulancemen used on him - he is very little the worse for the event.

One to keep an eye on maybe....

The number of people diagnosed with a heart rhythm condition that puts them at increased risk of a stroke has now passed 1.5m for the first time, according to our new figures.

The number of people diagnosed with atrial fibrillation has increased from 1m in 2013 – a 50 per cent rise in the space of a decade. The new total means that 1 in 45 people in the UK are known to be living with the condition.

No other data was provided to show when and by how much this condition began increasing.

Last edited:
Latest data shows much of the current trend in above 5 year average excess deaths are at home and relate to heart conditions. Pointing away from just simply NHS failures, as many other causes are actually lower than average. One would expect to see a more even spread of causes if it was NHS failures in general?

Attachments

• image-68.png
    image-68.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image-67-750x574.png
    image-67-750x574.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back